Sunday, March 29

Starting seeds for 2009

After a nice blanket of snow fell last night, I need some dirt to make me feel like spring.


Started 3" peat pots with generic potting mix (actually I think it's a combination of several brands of potting mix that were dumped into the same bucket, whatever works)

What's growing?
  • Strawberry - 3 started, I need about 9 more to cover the retaining wall that was stripped of "Lipstick" last fall
  • Tomatoes - 9 started, Early Girl, Ace 55, Roma, San Marzano, Oxheart, and Jelly Bean
  • Bell peppers - 6 started, Cali Wonder, something else unlabeled
  • Cayenne - 3 started
  • Basil - 3 started
  • Impatiens - 6 started
For now, that's it, I need more strawberries, but I'll start those later. I still need to order some more seeds this year - I'm out of carrots, lettuce, peas, beans, spinach, and I need lots of sunflowers. The plan, with other big events impeding my August and September, is to have half the garden covered in dwarf sunflowers (maybe with pumpkins growing under them). If I get ambitious, I'll put in some zinnias as well.

Eagerly awaiting the snowdrops and daffodils, but it will be a week or more before this snow (and that from the next two storms) melts.
--

No comments: